Monday, February 10, 2014

After a long "vacation"...

Hi all!

I'm sorry I left you all in the lurch. I have been busy writing code, and you can see some of it at https://github.com/ozonesurfer . As a warning, Tiedot is a work in progress, and if you try to use my current code with Tiedot 2.0, it won't work.

That being said, I thought I would put my  2 cents in on some of the current "wars of religion". Like Tiedot, the tech world is in transition. Transitions are messy things; you have to phase the old out gracefully, and allow the new to mature. People are ditching their landlines for cell phones. People now text instead of call, and e-mail/post instead of writing letters. I'm not going to say one set of technology is better than others. They're just different, each with their benefits and flaws.

As for what I've seen, one of my friends bought a Chromebook and a Windows Phone, and she's perfectly happy with both. Another friend feels incapable of using Windows. She has an old iMac, and plans to eventually get a new one.

 As for me, I bought this Vista HP laptop in 2009; now I use Windows 8.1 on the same machine. My only real problem is my graphics chips sometimes struggle with video. And yes, I once used Windows 7 too. The only real complaint I have with Windows 8.x is the lack of built-in instructions. Despite that shortcoming, I leveraged my knowledge of previous versions and my brains to figure out how to use it. I demoed this knowledge to a couple friends, and not only did they love what they saw, one experimented in front of me and we learned more features together... another later bought a Windows 8 phone.

I consider Windows 8.x as a product of the transition from computers as they were once known to tablets/smartphones. You can't please everyone, but programmers (like me) are stuck with having to try. Some people think change is bad (or at least too inconvenient), and others think change doesn't happen fast enough. I just work with what's available, and I try to keep an open mind to the new.

I think that's embodied in my current software stack: Windows, document-based NoSQL, and Go. I can hear you say "Whrere is the web server? What? No Apache?".  As for Apache or IIS, with Go I don't really need them. The Go framework comes with the "net/http" package, which has the ListenAndServe function. I can specify any web address/port I have permission to manipulate as a parameter.

I'm not saying LAMP is bad or useless. If you know what you're doing, it gets the job done. And yes, I've used JavaScript (namely jQuery) in Go websites. And with Gorilla's websockets, I can broadcast user input in a chatroom website, or even manipulate my websites using the command line. If anyone knows how to do the latter using something else, I'd love to read that code. However, the command line will have to be read, and the entered data be used by the website,while the website is running...no cheating! E-mail it to me at ross.albertson@yahoo.com.      

I haven't seen screenshots of Windows 8.1 Update, but I'm not freaking out about it. I figured out how to use 8.0 and 8.1, and with God's help I'll learn the next version. And I'm not married to Go. I plan to learn Java 8 (or try to) fairly soon. If you stop learning, you stop growing as a person. Besides, to me a technological occupation means signing up to be a professional student to some degree. One last thing... one's belief in a higher power is sacred, but no technology is... if something you created can't be changed, it's broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment